Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Real Life

Hello Everyone!

I've written a story about an bar raid that took place a few weeks ago. It is being featured on the IJM Institute blog. Check it out at the link below if you get a chance!

http://www.ijminstitute.org/index.php/site/comments/rescue_operation_in_cebu_philippines/

Christmas and the holidays are fast approaching. Filipinos love Christmas and everything that goes along with it. For instance, there are nativity scenes and other ornaments made out of reclyed objects placed all over town (which surprisingly, look quite festive) as well as songs such as Lady Gaga's "Just Dance" and "Away in a Manger" artistically mixed together (yes, it is just as awful as it sounds!)

My five month mark is also coming up soon (Seriously? Where did the time go?) And honestly, Cebu is starting to feel very much like real life. When you travel to a new or different culture, there are times when it feels like it could be just a game, or just a phase, like you keep waiting to wake up and go back to real life. But I've settled in quite nicely and Cebu does feels like real life. I still love Filipinos, mangoes and hot weather. I still hate sitting in really bad traffic, being shouted at by strangers and seeing naked babies who live on the streets. But, overall, it's just become part of life. Life in the Philippines. And overall, I'm loving it.

The work is good. I've implemented some training programs to various staff and partners and been able to see those trainings be used effectively, which is both exciting and encouraging! I've even been able to interview some clients using my limited Cebuano skills (which are, sadly, still limited). And every day our office staff meet together and pray for the court cases and investigations and police trainings and victims in aftercare and outreach in the community that happen every day around me. And it's exciting and encouraging to be part of such a magnificent team.

My only wish for Christmas... Eggnog Chai. But that might have to wait until next year, because although there are Starbucks here, there is a severe shortage of Eggnog in the country! :)
Merry Christmas Everyone!

14 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, my sweet darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal!!! I want to come visit you! I just started a new job..at the Senior Source where I was interning when we were in class together. It's going well! But I keep thinking about other countries and traveling! YOu are my inspiration!---Amy Z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful to have a friend like you who inspires me so much with the way you live your life in service to others. I love you and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal!! Oh my friend...it's not the same in Dallas without you here :(. Alex, me and Lexi went out the other day and determined our gang was not complete w/o you. I'm sorry I haven't done well at keeping up with you friend. Now that I'm back, I'll do better. You sound like you are doing great, which makes me very happy! I can't wait to hear more stories. I'll toast to you when I have some eggnog ;). Love you tons!
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very much loved and I want to have some Chai Egg Nog with you next season. :) I could not stop laughing about the Lady Gaga Christmas remix... oh the humanity!! Praying for you today. - Tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal!
    You are my Sunshine! Appaerantly you are being sunshine to others too :) you are so wonderful!
    I hope you have a Merry, Merry Christmas.
    Love you lots xoxoxoxoxox! -Sara P

    ReplyDelete
  7. crystal, the IJM blog story is incredible! thank you so much for letting us in on this great answer to sara's prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for blogging. Happy holidays, friend! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet friend, I'm so happy that you are feeling a sense of home right now - especially as Christmas approaches. I'm praying for you often my friend - have a blessed Christmas season!! -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey crystal, i love reading your blogs and just as much the comments people leave for you. They are testiment to what a beautiful person you are and how you are touching peoples lives not only in the philippines but around the world. What a better place this world would be if we had more crystal sunshine spragues around... love you girl, merry christmas. Anneke xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go Crystal! Merry Christmas! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi girl,
    Wow I am so glad that you are feeling so settled, that is such a blessing. You are however very missed here. We had Rachael, Alex and Tonya back at bible study last night, it was like a class reunion, but we had one missing :(. Nonetheless know that we are praying for you and loving what God is doing in your life.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Youre awesome and i miss you, i know old news but i always think it!!

    im soo happy that you are loving Cebu so much, im sure youre an honorary Filipino by now!

    but eew, Eggnog chai? yikes! how about Angelika Chai???? :)

    love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas beautiful! We all miss you and are so happy to hear you are doing so well! Hopefully one of these years we will agin spend a holiday together as a family! Much Love and safe travels to you!
    XXOOOXXXOOO - Delilah,Jorney,Sailee, Zack, & Aunt Sandy

    ReplyDelete