Friday, March 9, 2012

Baby Steps, Giant Leaps.

Hands down, the best part of my job: watching the girls grow and mature, gaining confidence in themselves and hope for their future. These changes come slowly, baby steps and small progress, but that's how lasting change is. The changes that last come in small slow steps and should be celebrated! Here are a few moment from this past month that I've observed in our girls that have made me smile:

1. Audrey* who was rescued when she was 13 years old, dropped out of school in grade 3 because of bullying. Here is what Audrey recently told our social worker: "If I ever get bullied or teased again, I will tell them that I have God in my life and I know him. I know that they are doing that because they have no God and they don't have enough faith in him. I am no longer the girl that they have known who is illiterate that they can easily tease or bully. I am a new girl, studying in a private school, and God is finding ways for me because of MRH's help."

2. Recently Jessica* went home on a family visit. Her family environment is very chaotic. Abuse, drugs and poverty are the terms that apply but cannot really describe the amount of deprivation that occurred. Jessica went to visit her family, and talked for a minute about her education and opportunities here at MRH. However, she spent the majority of the conversation encouraging her sister to believe in God because "Whatever her problems are, God can bear it." and "With God, everything is possible." Her family tried to persuade Jessica to drop her court case and move on with her life, but Jessica told them she will not. She will fight for justice against those who wronged her. She later said she didn't want to waste time talking about the things she was going to accomplish, she was just determined to work hard and excited for the day when she could show her family her diploma and prove to them that anything is possible.

3. Jasmine* when asked about the difference in her learning before and now said "Before I didn't know how to write and I hated it. Now, I know how to do Math and they are teaching me how to answer and read. Even if I get a low score, I'm still happy because I already learned how to read and write."

Baby steps, baby steps. So many baby steps. But when you put them all together, they become leaps and bounds.


*Names changed due to security

No comments:

Post a Comment