Friday, July 3, 2009

Financial Miracles

I always said I would never raise money again. I hated feeling as if I was befriending people with ulterior motives. And I had seen some missionaries consumed with raising money and (from what I could tell) burning bridges because of it. I vowed to never do it again.

The theme of my life over the past five years has been "Trust." I don't know if trusting the Lord comes easier for some people, but it has never been easy for me. But God is so patient. And such a good teacher. Slowly, he's proved to me (o'er and o'er as the hymn says) that I can trust him, especially in the area of finances. So, when I was asked to come work with International Justice Mission, and told I would have to raise money, I vowed to do it with integrity and, to the best of my ability, make sure that no one ever felt as if giving to me was a prerequisite for friendship. And I had complete peace that God would provide.

I did a bunch of fundraisers, and sold all my things, and spoke at a couple of youth groups and churches, but up until 2 weeks ago, I had less than half of my funds raised. And I still wasn't worried about it! It was the most phenomenal thing! I even thought to myself "I should be worried right now" but I just couldn't muster up that emotion!

So, I'd met with Steve Roese, one of the pastors at Irving Bible Church (IBC) a few times about my trip. When I got back from training, he sent me to have lunch with Steven Harrell, another pastor on staff. Another week went by, and I saw Steve at IBC on Father's Day and went over to talk to him. Our dialogue went like this:

Me: Happy Father's Day
Steve: Thanks. Has Steven gotten back with you yet?
Me: No.
Steve: Well, we are going to support you.
Me: Great! Thanks!
Steve: How much money have you raised?
Me: Around $8,000.
Steve: And you need $15,000?
Me: Ya. (actually, I was supposed to raise around 17,000, but 15, 000 is more than enough to live on!)
Steve: Well, we are going to make up the difference.
Me: (blank stare) Are you serious?!

But the most amazing part of this exchange (at least in my opinion) is that when Steve told me that, I didn't feel relieved. I felt amazed and astounded and excited and thankful. But not relieved. Because there had not been any worry to relieve!

God can be trusted. I've proved him o'er and o'er.

2 comments:

  1. this is awesome!!! i remember you telling me that night at Fonzie's apt!! i was super excited for you!!! and reading it again now, i just got super pumped again!!!! i love you and i know that your going to do great things over there!!! GOD IS GREAT!!!! AND GREATLY TO BE PRAISED!!! (sorry! you started it with the hymm refference!!) ok... well, i like your post/blog.. whatever they are called!!! i'll catch you laterz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Love reading your blogs here! I'm praying for you chica! Changing the world!!! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete