Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Whys and Hows and Whats

Interacting and working with victims of crimes will, and should, cause one to reflect on the why’s and how’s and what’s of life, and of God. Why would God allow this to happen? How can God be good if he lets innocent people suffer? What can be done when most efforts seem to produce such small amounts of effectiveness in the grand scheme of oppression and problems surrounding us? God calls us to fight for justice, and the work here is doing exactly that, but it’s easy to start becoming offensive and bitter when the aftermath of suffering surrounds you daily.

I’m reading a book that addresses some of these issues entitled Out of the Whirlwind. The Author, Mark A. Tabb, doesn’t talk about victims of crimes or trafficking, he discusses tragedy in the life of a Christian, when there are no real answers to the Why questions surrounding them. The following excerpt struck me hard:

I know God is good, but must God always be good to me before I trust him? If so, I am in trouble because God cannot and will not always do that which appears from my limited human perspective to be loving and kind. At times his actions will seem harsh and painful. They must be if God is to act in ways that are truly good. George MacDonald describes this paradox in At the Back of the North Wind. The book tells the story of a boy named Diamond who develops a relationship with the North Wind, who represents God. The boy wants to go away with the beautiful North Wind because of the goodness she’s showered upon him. Diamond tells her:
“Well, I will go with you because you are beautiful and good, too.”
“Ah, but there’s another thing, Diamond: What if I should look ugly without being bad -- look ugly myself because I am making ugly things beautiful?—What then?”
“I don’t quite understand you, North Wind. You tell me what then.”
“Well, I will tell you. If you see me with my face all black, don’t be frightened. If you see me flapping wings like a bat’s, as big as the whole sky, don’t be frightened. If you hear me raging ten times worse than Mrs. Bill, the blacksmith’s wife—even if you see me looking into people’s windows like Mrs. Eve Dropper, the gardener’s wife—you must believe that I am doing my work. Nay, Diamond, if I change into a serpent or a tiger, you must not let go your hold of me, for my hand will never change in yours if you keep a good hold. If you keep a hold, you will know who I am all the time, even when you look at me and can’t see me the least like the North Wind. I may look something very awful. Do you understand?”


I’m not sure if I understand, Lord, and I know I don’t like it, but I’m willing to trust you anyway. And I pray that you will use me to help “make ugly things beautiful.”

6 comments:

  1. These are the meat of life, these questions. This passage is very profound, I like it. I'm glad you're doing this work for the right reasons Crystal, and that you care so much. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Crystal. That's really thought-provoking. I'm so thankful that God is willing to make himself ugly to make us beautiful. That's just a wonderful picture of who Jesus was and is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, what a thought-provoking segment. It makes me want to read that book! I've asked God "Why?" a lot the past couple of months, knowing that I probably won't get the answer I'm looking for. But I do agree, it's so good to know we can trust God even when we know that we will probably never have all the answers we long for. Can't wait to see you here in Indo super soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm asking God "why?" a lot lately myself, and I know a lot of other believers who are too. Oppression is everywhere in so many forms. We want to run from it because it is so opposite of our ever-increasing desire for the restoration of everything and destruction of evil. God asks us to be like His Son and push into the oppression with the love and grace and talents He has freely given. Oppression afflicts us too and we need Him and His children. I think we underestimate how much God is doing behind all of it and how much a part of it we are, even as we fall along the way. All this to say, His ways are above our ways! With you in this battle and faith, lovely sister. Praying for you often! Love you, M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crystal!!

    Your blog reminds me of mine in Uganda. and i remember how encouraging your words were to me then. I too can't get over all the ugly there is in the world, but like you said without our faith in the Lord we would truly have nothing. You are the woman for this job! I love how your heart wrestles with the hard stuff but your faith stays strong. Love you and miss you like always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all grown up and I am very proud of you. My thoughts and prayers are with you daily.
    With love Uncle Tim

    ReplyDelete