Thursday, July 16, 2009

Arrival

I arrived in Cebu, safe and sound! I had a minor snag with my return flight, but was able to resolve it in Seoul, South Korea during my layover (which is good, because customs would not have let me through if I didn't!). I got in around 12pm on Tuesday, July 14th and was able to go straight to bed (which is wonderful after you've been traveling for 2o hours!)



I woke up bright and early the next morning, around 6am and went out to explore this city that I have missed so much! I rode a jeepney (primary mode of tranporation-- originally they were old WW2 army jeeps that the USA left behind) and went the wrong way, but luckily, it took me to the baragay or area where the house I used to stay at was located, as well as the house of the missionaries I used to work with. So I went up to visit, but the missionaries are in the states for a few months. However, one of the kids I used to work with was there, working on the lawn so I was able to visit with him for a few minutes! When I left he was 12... now he is 17! It was great to see him though. The children's home where I used to live and work in located about 2 hours from the city, so I will be able to go visit this weekend.



I got back on the jeepney and went the way I had orginally intended, exploring some more of the city, and to my relief, it hasn't changed too much. There are a few new establishments, but the same boys still yell to get on the jeepneys, and there are still fried bananas and grilled fish on many street corners, and bakeries with the most delicious sugary treats you can imagine. There are still palm trees and terrible drivers and people covering their faces from the dust with hankies. And still the same sweet smiling faces ready to assist with anything you may need. It's so nice to be back!

5 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I'm so happy for you, and can't wait to see pictures of your new home and hear about how work is going so far. I love you, I LOVE you, I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! So glad you arrived safely! Looking forward to following along through your blog... Can't wait to see photos:) Be safe and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My adventuring cuz, leaving smiles on the faces of all by example. You're an inspiration to me. I love you, and know that you will create joy wherever you go Sunshine
    sammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, glad u made it over there. i hope they didn't make u unpack all your bags in manilla 3 times if you flew through there. i'll continue to pray for you. God bless and have fun! sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crystal is back in the Philippines!! Yay!! Friend I hope that are having a most wonderful time! I LOVE LOVE YOU. I cant believe your 12 year old is 17! that's nuts. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete